...Gower inspired fine art by Jason Shepherd...An Artist’s journey around the Gower Peninsula

Tuesday 1 June 2010

To Triptych or not to Triptych?

 So my lovely wife's birthday was coming up and I asked her what she would like for her birthday this year. I normally by her something she has been wanting for a while and a surprise present.  This year I was the one to be surprised, as she asked me to paint something for her. I shouldn't have been surprised of course as she's my biggest Art fan. As this is her first birthday since we have been married (7 months and counting) I wanted the painting to be even more special so I decided to paint a triptych.

There is something special about a Triptych (definition of Triptych at bottom of blog entry). It can be used in a variety of ways. For example one painting in three sections or as I had chosen to do, three themed images. The theme would be our favourite elements/places of the Gower.

So here's the centre part of the Triptych (see above :-)). It's a painting of Pwll Du Bay. I've painted it once before but this painting is from a different angle and a completely different painting and drawing style. 

Here's the original painting I did 18 months to two years ago. A much more traditonal style but with some originallity in the use of texture and materials (watercolour used like Oil Paints)... I hope.

For those who don't know the term.Triptych is defined in the Oxford University Press as: A picture consisting of three parts and denoting both the object itself and its compositional form. As an object the triptych may vary in size and material, but usually consists of a central panel flanked by wings (or shutters), which may be hinged; as a compositional form it is a tripartite structure, often with an emphasized central element. Although its imagery was, until the 19th century at least, predominantly religious, the object as such was not tied to a specific function.

No comments:

Post a Comment