...Gower inspired fine art by Jason Shepherd...An Artist’s journey around the Gower Peninsula

Thursday 22 April 2010

Trying Something A Bit Different - Line and Wash Gower Images

I'm trying something a bit different this week. As a child I loved comic books. All kinds. British humour titles (Beano, Dandy, Beezer), Sports (Roy of the Rovers, Victor) and American Superheroes. For a few years in my teens I wanted to be a comic book artist and used to practise drawing in a simplified linear style. Now i'm older the idea of simplifying scenes of the Gower appealed to me. Not in a full-on Cartoony style, as in my youth but capturing the essence of the Gower in a few well chosen lines, with just the right amount of colour and texture. I am not leaving behind the textured painted style I usually use but just experimenting and trying something a bit different. So here are the first three drawings in this style.  I hope you like them.


All images are drawn using various ink pens and a colour wash of watercolour paints and white gouache.


 Southgate, rock and gorse bush detail



Southgate, overlooking the sea

No comments:

Post a Comment